The Afghan authorities have reported a large-scale attack by the Taliban in the North-East of the country

The Afghan authorities have reported a large-scale attack by militants movement «Taliban» in the North-East of the country. Terrorists try to storm the capital of Kunduz province.

According to police, the attack goes in three directions. The militants of the Taliban the second time this year trying to storm the city of Kunduz, where police and military personnel, trained by NATO, pounding the attack almost without the aid of foreign troops, reports NEWSru.com with reference to Reuters.

The Taliban assault began at 6 a.m. on Monday, September 28, (4:30 on Kiev). Gunfire and volleys of heavy artillery were heard in the centre of Kunduz. «Now heavy fighting continues in Khanabad, Chardara and Imam: — the main entrances to the city, said Sayed Sarwar Hussaini, the police spokesman in Kunduz. — We have enough forces, and soon we expect reinforcements».

The Taliban claim that they managed to capture 200-bed hospital and government buildings. According to the BBC Russia, during the fighting has killed two local residents, another 34 people were injured. Both sides have losses, but on the exact number of victims is not reported.

After several hours of clashes, the militants said that partially occupied the centre of the city. According to an eyewitness, the battle took place in two districts, less than one kilometer from the residence of the Governor. This information was confirmed by a source in the security forces of the government.

If the rebels manage to seize the city, this will be a turning point in the struggle between the rebels and government forces, although the Armed forces of Afghanistan were able to oust the Taliban from most of the occupied territories.

Recall the war in Afghanistan began in 2001 to respond to the attacks of al-Qaeda in the USA on 11 September 2001. American counter-terrorism operation was called «enduring freedom».

The gradual withdrawal of U.S. troops and NATO from Afghanistan started in 2011. Last year Washington announced the end of military operations. A new mission the U.S. and NATO forces in Afghanistan focus on training, advice and assistance to the security forces and the army of the country.

With the beginning of withdrawal of American military situation in Kunduz has become more acute. The city became the centre of fierce fighting between the Taliban and government forces.

In February 2015 it became known that the American government is exploring the possibility of maintaining an army in Afghanistan is contingent on a larger scale than envisaged plans to reduce military presence. In March, U.S. President Barack Obama has suspended a withdrawal of troops from Afghanistan, ordering to leave before the end of 2015, about 10 thousand American military.

Recently it became known that the American military command there are several scenarios: maintaining the U.S. presence in Afghanistan at the current level of 10 thousand soldiers, reducing their number to eight thousand, decrease half. Another option involves the presence of several hundred U.S. military by the end of 2016.

Officials from the U.S. and partner countries fear that reducing the number of troops in Afghanistan will lead to the growing influence of militants in the country’s government. Now international forces have provided assistance in training Afghan troops and does not take part in combat operations against groups of Taliban and terrorists from grouping «al-Kaida».

The Afghan authorities have reported a large-scale attack by the Taliban in the North-East of the country 28.09.2015

0
Сентябрь 28th, 2015 by
40 queries