Dozens of employees of the TV channel NewsOne actually become hostages of unidentified men in balaclavas, who blocked the entrance to the office of the company. This is stated in the statement published on the website NewsOne.
«Normal work as a result of such actions violated, cancelled all interviews, guests are not able to get into the TV Studio, and journalists – to go out on editorial assignments. Dozens of employees of the TV channel are actually hostages of the unknown, which openly declare that their goal is to pressure on the channel, censorship and interference with freedom of speech. The life and health of journalists in danger,» according to the broadcaster.
The actions of the individuals blocking the channel, are unlawful obstruction of journalistic activities and infringement of freedom of speech, the statement said.
On NewsOne believe that the actions of the activists can be classified under five articles of the Criminal code of Ukraine:
- threat by murder if there were real grounds to fear the realization of this threat (part 1 of article 129 of the criminal code);
- violation of equality of citizens depending on their race, national origin, religious belief, disability and other grounds (paragraph 1 of article 161 of the criminal code);
- obstruction of the lawful professional activities of journalists (part 1, 2 articles 171 of the criminal code);
- the threat of destruction of another’s property by arson, explosion or other publicly dangerous method (part 1 of article 195 of the criminal code);
- public calls to commit a terrorist act (paragraph 1 of article 258-2 of the criminal code).
The channel delivers balanced news about all socially significant events in the country, leading to pressure from both the authorities and by the «radical parties», said in a press release. Such actions are unacceptable in a democratic society, conclude the authors.
December 3, activists in balaclavas and camouflage uniforms began blocking the building of the business center on the street Field in Kiev, which is the Studio of the TV channel NewsOne. The participants used the barbed wire and sand. Editorial NewsOne connects the blocking of the channel with the stream «March for impeachment» which passed in the same day in the Ukrainian capital.
Block NewsOne activists demand an apology from the channel owner, extra fractional people’s Deputy Evgeniy murayev «to the heroes of Heavenly hundred.» 29 November in the program «Ukrainian format» NewsOne Moore called the Euromaidan coup.
On 4 December the head of the MIA of Ukraine Arsen Avakov called activists to stop blocking the channel and added that the police will give the events an appropriate assessment.
The President of Ukraine Petro Poroshenko has condemned the actions of blocking the channel NewsOne.
The OSCE expressed concern with blocking the television.
On NewsOne believe that the blocking of the channel could incriminate the five articles of the Criminal code 05.12.2017