80% of Kiev in the 1950s, spoke at the Ukrainian — CIA document

The Central intelligence Agency of the USA published a declassified report, according to MDM in the 1950-ies, eight out of ten residents of Kiev used the Ukrainian language fellowship. This document is available in the archives on the official website of the CIA, reports UKRINFORM.

«About 80% of the population of Kiev used the Ukrainian language in their communication. The remaining 20% used the Russian or one of the languages spoken in the USSR», — is spoken in the first section of the report, «Speech and communication», dated 28 September 1954.

In addition, it draws attention to the fact that the topic of politics in Ukraine is never discussed in conversation with strangers, including trains or any where in other places.

The report also contains information on the restoration of buildings, bridges and other objects of the Ukrainian capital in the postwar period.

In addition, the document contains other interesting details. For example, most of the shops in this period were opened at eight in the morning, however, some five, for the workers, who at that time came in the morning shift. The report also noted that in Kiev center, three streets were used for pedestrian traffic: Khreschatyk, Krasnoarmeyskaya and Vladimir. Violation of this policy was fraught with fine.

Among other interesting details, it was reported that in 1954 was carried out flights between Kiev and Uzhgorod. The ticket price for hard seat was 265 rubles. Soft salon had to pay 35 rubles and a few cents Commission. The tickets can be purchased at the ticket office on Khreshchatyk.

We will remind, in January the CIA has published online almost 13 million pages of declassified documents. Previously, access to this data could be obtained with only four computers in the National archives in College Park, Maryland.

On request «Ukraine» search produces more than 11 thousand declassified documents.




80% of Kiev in the 1950s, spoke at the Ukrainian — CIA document 27.01.2017

0
Январь 27th, 2017 by
36 queries